Perhaps you have heard of the term VoIP before, and maybe you haven’t. Regardless, be prepared to change the way you think about your business phone system. VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol, and it is a way to make and receive phone calls via digital data that is sent over the cloud.
How VoIP Systems Work
VoIP systems work a lot like email does, except you are transporting packets of audio versus packets of text. So when you make a phone call, the audio gets broken down into miniscule tidbits of data that is sent up into the cloud and then received by the person on the other end of the call. Even though VoIP systems use the Internet to work, you can still use both mobile phones and landlines to make phone calls: You are not confined to your computer. Of course, your computer is always an option.
Types of VoIP Services
While the general VoIP system works as mentioned above, there are actually several different types of service available:
- Analog Telephone Adaptor (ATA) – If you want to keep using your landline, this is the VoIP service for you. By converting the traditional analog data from your landline into digital data, you can easily implement VoIP service into your office. Using an ATA is as easy as plugging the phone into the adapter instead of into the wall.
- IP Phones – If you are starting from scratch, IP phones are the way to go. They are made specifically for use with VoIP systems, but they still have the look and feel of a traditional phone. An IP phone connects to your router and accesses the WiFi to make and receive calls.
- Computer-to-Computer – As long as your computer has a microphone and speakers—and Internet access, of course—then using a VoIP service is as simple as logging in.
Make VoIP Work for You
A VoIP system is simple to implement and provides these unique benefits:
- Since everything is done virtually, a VoIP system can save you money in startup costs, upgrading/expansion costs, and ongoing costs.
- With the only requirement being an Internet connection, a VoIP system frees up your team and allows you to work on the go.
- Collaboration has never been easier than it is with a VoIP system. Effortlessly set up web conferences, video chat, instant messaging, and more.
A VoIP system changes the way your business communicates. By transporting data via the cloud, it opens up a whole new world of versatility and efficiency to help your business flourish. Contact us today to learn more about implementing a VoIP system for your company.